Friday, July 12, 2013

Sam & Suzy: 14 weeks



This is the first week where I was really bummed out about bringing Sam to daycare. I almost cried on Monday. It was nice having Sam with Rob's parents, knowing Sam was spending time and getting to know grandma and grandpa. Also with the somewhat long weekend last week, I got to spend a lot of time with Sam and it was fun.

Sam:
I love how Sam is finding his own voice. He's squealing so much more. So cute!

In the book, What's Going on in There? How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life , I read that it's super important to talk to your baby as much as possible. The more words you use, the better your baby will develop its own talking and understanding of language. Reading to your baby is the best. Makes sense, you are using a lot of words and it's repetition when you read the same books.

At home, I'm a quiet person. I don't talk much and sometimes when I do things with Sam, I really don't talk to him. It's not as bad as it sounds! But I am starting to make more of an effort to talk with Sam. Also I'm going to make sure I read to him every day. He's old enough now to look at the pictures on the books too.


Suzy:
I went to the doctor's last Friday for my annual visit. I asked him about getting my period and how it makes me feel with the anxiety and all. Unfortunately, it's going to take a while for my hormones to even out. I'm starting to feel better this week. It also helps that I know why I'm feeling moody sometimes.

Lately I've been feeling a bit bummed out about my whole breast feeding situation. Sam is eating a lot more now and I did notice a slight dip in my supply. So when I pump, instead of having enough for one bottle the next day, it takes two days. Thankfully, giving up never crosses my mind. I will keep doing this for as long as I can!

So this weekend I am power pumping! Basically, I pump as much as I can over the weekend which a lot of moms recommend. The extra pumping triggers the brain to think that it needs to make more. I'm also making lactation cookies again, drinking the herbal tea and eating lots of oatmeal. My goal will be to boost my supply enough to where I can get at least one bottle for daycare the next day and to not have to give Sam a bottle in the middle of the night and not have him waking an hour later if I breastfeed. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Dena Joan said...

i am getting a pump on monday and looking forward to it. we've been exclusively breastfeeding so far & (while rewarding) it's been really hard/exhausting. he never goes more than 2 hours between feedings but it's usually 45 - 60 minutes. all day and night. makes for a very exhausted mama! =/

good luck this weekend! look forward to hearing how it goes.

Suzy said...

Good luck! Yeah I love breast feeding Sam, but it's always nice when Rob can give him a bottle giving me a break. It's such a great feeling when they start to spread out their feedings a bit more. I hope Roman starts giving his mama some rest; )

Post a Comment