Monday, October 28, 2013

Don't think, just run!

This week marks a huge week for us!

After one failed year, months of training, too many early mornings, Rob is finally getting to run the New York City Marathon! Rob was supposed to run it last year, but well...y'all know what happened. I'm so excited for him, it's a dream come true for Rob to run in his home state and run one of the most popular races in one of the biggest cities.

me and my first 5k in 2010


And for me!! This week I start training for the Charleston, SC half marathon that's on Jan. 18th, 2014!!

Saturday, I was putting Sam down for a nap and Rob runs into the room. "I know we decided that I would take a break from running marathons, but what if YOU ran the Charleston half marathon??" Apparently our friends were asking Rob about Charleston because before Rob said he'd run it and we could all rent a beach house. He first said no because he promised me a break from races and that's when he had the brilliant idea of getting me to run. So when he asked me, I was caught off guard and half awake (hello nap time) and I was like, "Uh uh uh.....yes?"

And there we go. I agreed to run a half marathon! I'm super excited and super nervous. It was always a goal to run a half marathon and well, why makes excuses and just do it? It'll be tough, there will be tears, but Rob will be there the whole way encouraging me. We've got our friends too, who are all great inspirations!

The timing is perfect too. The race is 12 weeks away and the Hal Higdon Novice 1 training program is 12 weeks. Basically the training is short runs 3 days a week and a long run on the weekend. There's a day for stretching/resting and a cross training day which will probably be my post natal bootcamp DVD. I'm also canceling my gym membership, it just wasn't working out and it proved more difficult to go to classes in the evening and taking care of Sam for bedtime. With running, I don't have a set time, which is good. And this will totally help get me in shape because running burns so many calories and all this training is during the holiday time, so I will be less likely to overindulge.




0 comments:

Post a Comment